Thursday, June 21, 2012

Much Requested Kedgeree Recipe

So it seems a bit like I am writing a cookbook right now, right?  But I promise I'm not... not yet anyways!!! 

Not too long ago, I was at a family get together which are sadly occurring less frequently these days,  where we all brought dishes of food to eat.  I brought along my version - the lower saturated fat version, of Kedgeree.  A friend first cooked it for me and I requested the recipe from her... so it's only fitting I pass it on to those who have requested it from me.  And I'm no sneaky sausage... I haven't left out any ingredients so that my version is always the best... yours will taste just as yummy as mine I promise.

Original Ingredients

2 eggs
680g smoked haddock fillets, any bones removed
2 bay leaves
170g long grain or basmati rice
salt and freshly ground black pepper
115g butter
1 medium onion (or equivalent spring onions) finely chopped
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
2 heaped teaspoons of curry powder
2 lemons
2 handfuls of chopped fresh coriander

My Modified Lower Saturated Fat Ingredients

4 eggs - yolks to be removed and fed to your youngest child!
680g orange smoked cod fillets, any bones removed
2 bay leaves
170g long grain rice - cheaper than basmati
Macrobiotic salt (salt which is in it's natural unprocessed state) and freshly ground black pepper
115g of olive oil - not extra virgin as it's unsuitable to heat, experiement with the amount, as you could probably use less - much less, but not none!
1 medium onion finely chopped
5 cloves of garlic pressed through the garlic press - bugger chopping it!! I love garlic btw!
2 heaped teaspoons of curry powder
2 big lemons
3 handfuls of chopped fresh coriander - I love coriander as well!

Method

Boil the eggs for 10 minutes. Allow to cool while preparing the rest of the ingredients.

Put the smoked cod in a frying pan with some water and the bay leaves and bring to the boil.  Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes until fish is all cooked.  Remove from the pan and when the fish is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and flake the fish into chunks, then set aside.

Cook the rice in salted water for about 10 minutes then drain.  Refresh it in cold water, drain again and put it in the fridge until you need it.

Warm the oil in a pan over low heat and add the onion and garlic.  Allow it to soften, but not colour for 5 minutes.  Add the curry powder and cook for a couple of minutes.  Add the juice of one lemon. 

Cut the eggs into wedges.  If you are concerned about your saturated fat intake, remove the yolks and feed them to your kids, dogs, husband etc or dispose of in the bin... if not proceed with eggs wedges intact!!

Add the fish and rice to the pan and gently heat through, then add the eggs and coriander stiring gently as not to break up the eggs any further.

Put into a warm serving dish and serve with the second lemon, which you have considerately cut into wedges.  Serves 6 (or 4 with the option of seconds!!)  Enjoy.

It's such a tasty dish... you won't mind all the dishes it creates because there are A LOT... maybe schedule someone else to do the washing up duties!

Good luck with it. xx

2 comments:

  1. I think I'll try, Lee-Anne.
    kissy,
    Ana Martins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna

      All of the Martins' loved this dish - Maria Bernadette (Nana Baby), Uncle Roland, Aunty Wilma, Vanessa, Lisa, Poppy Rosano, Uncle Frank and Aunty Laurie, Duaine, Beau - everyone! I bought it along to Lorenzo's one year anniversary. It was very sad, but also lovely to have the family get together again supporting each other. It is such a rare event these days. So you should give this a try - it's delicious! xx

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to read them...